How to get into Berghain?
That’s probably the face you see as you get turned away from Berghain.
So, Berghain is a nightclub in Berlin, Germany. It is named after its location near the border between Kreuzberg and Friedrichshain in Berlin. That’s it. Nothing special. So why is getting in there so sought after? Simply, because it’s hard. Really hard. Even Felix Da Housecat was denied entry to Berghain and took to Twitter to vent about their stringent door policy. There is a website that will utilises a webcam and microphone for a fully immersive experience dedicated to training people just like you on how to get in to the berghain. www.berghaintrainer.com
If you are reading this I’m sure you’ve seen the usual advise:
- Go early
- Don’t go in a big group
- Know who’s DJ-ing that night
- Don’t be too young
- Dress casually—jeans and a T-shirt is best
- Don’t try to cut the line
- Don’t joke or laugh in line
- Don’t speak in the line. Or if you must, speak German.
We have been lucky enough to get in a handful of times and, of course, we have been turned away as well. But and we found it best just be genuine and honest. It’s not a place to go with ‘The Boys’ for a ‘night out’ or a ‘piss up’. It’s a music venue, not a nightclub. Many people we spoke to prior to getting in said they came to Berlin to go Berghain. Don’t. Go to Berlin because you want to see someone play, which happens to be at Berghain. Sven Marquardt spoke to GQ about his selection process and the only insight he would provide is that he is a pretty genuine bloke and he respects people who are the same.
So what’s the key to getting in Berghain?
- Don’t dress up. It’s not a night out. Wear what you usual daily attire. obviously not joggers and a hoodie but jeans and t-shirt. No glitter or nonsense.
- Select a night where you know who is playing and want to see them. Nobody wants people mooching taking selfies, they want a crowd of people loving the music.
- Don’t pretend your German or a local. It’s insulting.
- You don’t need to be pally or emphasise the fact your desperate to get in. Everybody wants to get in. You are not special.
- Timing doesn’t matter. It’s going to be full no matter what. Just be there for a reasonable time.
- It’s not the end of the world if Sven turns you away. Berlin in a beautiful city. Go explore it.
Everyone will have there own views and experience but ours is just don’t take it too seriously. Relax and be honest. (The motto for life really)
Let us know your experiences and views or any tips you’ve come across.